The UNCG SELF Studio hosts open workshops and events throughout the academic year and summer. All events are open to UNCG School of Education students. Some are open to other UNCG students and the general public. Please check the details of each workshop for eligibility and registration requirements. Workshops are free to attend! Come learn through play and exploration!
Fall 2017 Workshop Calendar
Game Jam! – Saturday, December 2: 10am-1pm
- Learning how to make a game involves many skills young people will need to keep pace in today’s ever-changing world. From design and coding/programming to problem-solving and persistence, video game design challenges people to think critically and creatively through an engaging medium where play and exploration are encouraged. Join us for our 1st Game Jam where students will learn to plan, design, and code/build a video game. No experience is necessary – just bring your creativity, passion, and persistence. Register for Game Jam!
Halloween Mask Making – SOE Lobby and SOE 307
10/2: 4-5 PM
10/4: 2-4 PM
10/5: 10-3 PM
10/11: 9-5 PM
10/13: 9-1 PM
- Get ready to amaze your friends and family with your most fantastic Halloween mask EVER! Choose from a variety of masks that take between 1 – 5 hours to complete. Come to one of our open sessions to start, then return at any time to complete it.
Drop in. No registration required.
3Doodler Pen (in the SOE lobby)
Tuesday, 10/3, 1 – 3 PM
- Use a 3D printing pen to create a butterfly, pair of glasses, or tiny flowerpot out of plastic. Drop in. No registration required.
Virtual Reality (Google Expeditions and CoSpaces) – SOE Lobby
Wednesday, 10/18, 9 AM – 4 PM
- Come experience two of the virtual reality tools that we use in the SOE. Google Expedition is a free app that takes you on over 200 virtual field trips. CoSpaces allows you to create your own virtual environments. Drop in. No registration required.
Augmented Reality Postcards (using Aurasma) SOE Lobby
Tuesday, 10/17, 1 – 5 PM
- Want to send an amazing postcard home to Mom and Dad? You’ll learn how to create an augmented reality postcard that you can send in the REAL mail (you remember snail mail, right?) Drop in. No registration required.
Green Screen (using DoInk Green Screen app) SOE Lobby
Wednesday, 10/25, 9 AM – 3 PM
- Learn how news anchors, weather crews, and movie producers create stunning backgrounds using a full-size green screen. Take a photo of yourself on the moon, at the Great Wall of China, in a giant pile of kittens, or anywhere else your imagination takes you! Drop in. No registration required.
Escape Rooms – BreakoutEDU Make your own Breakout Room!
Saturday, October 28, 10 – 12 PM
- If you’re interested in creating your own Breakout Room for your classroom or next party, this workshop will teach you how to plan it and conduct it on a budget! Registration required.
Laser Engraving (Epilog Mini Laser) – Make a Working Clock!
Monday, November 6: 9 – 2 PM
- Design and create your own working analog clock! You will create your design using Corel and print it on the Epilog laser! Registration required. Limited to 8 UNCG students. Registration required. UNCG SOE students only. Limited to 8 students.
- Escape the SOE Breakout Room! Bring a group of friends and solve a series of puzzles to escape your impending doom!
- Coding 1: Learn the basics of computer programming with the Hour of Code
- Coding 2: Make your own video game to share with your friends
- Coding 3: Use physical computing (Raspberry Pi and Arduino) to make blinking LED lights
- 3D Printing: Make a personalized keychain!
- Makerspace Playground (Friday Institute) Resources
- Coding for Parents (and Kids and Teachers!)
- Make Your Own Table-top Green Screen
- Making …Connections … Community … Collaboration Workshop Resources