All professional employees in public schools must hold a license for the subject or grade level they teach or for the professional education assignment that they hold.
Licensure Requirements for Recommendation by UNCG
The UNCG Collaborative for Educator Preparation (CEP) requires candidates to meet the following requirements to be recommended for initial license by UNCG:
- State Board Exam (SBE) – must have a passing score(s) for the area of license (AND)
- *edTPA – a passing score for the area of license (AND)
- *TCE – a score of ‘proficient’ on the final administration (AND)
- *CDAP 2.0 – a score of ‘proficient’ in all categories (AND)
- *COTC – a rating of ‘met’ on all items at conclusion of student teaching/final internship
*These requirements will be addressed in detail by your designated Program Coordinator upon acceptance to Teacher Education.
Click here for a list of all State Board Testing Requirements
Praxis II Testing
Please visit Educational Testing Service for more details on Praxis II test(s), score(s) and testing information required for your licensure area.
North Carolina Pearson Exam
Please visit North Carolina Pearson for more details on tests, scores, and information required for your licensure area.
Candidates must apply for license once all necessary state requirements have been met. Candidates can click here for the NC online licensure system portal.
+ Alternative Licensure
The Alternative Licensure programs provide initial teacher certification options to those with an earned 4-year degree and seek to earn a Standard SP1 teaching license. UNC Greensboro offers a wide selection to meet the initial licensure needs of the community.
Fall: July 1
Spring: October 1
Summer: April 1
Fall: May 15
Spring: September 15
Summer: February 15
+ Licensure Only
The Licensure Only certification areas prepare applicants for teaching in advance of entering the classroom. Program coursework and duration are dependent upon the degree and previous coursework of the applicant. Once admitted, a detailed plan of study will be provided.
- Health & Physical Education (K-12)
- Art Licensure (K-12)
For information on B-K Licensure, please click here.
- Earned 4-year degree in a field related to the teaching area (bachelor degree and 24 credit hours in the area of content may suffice).
- Minimum of 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
- Copy of an official transcript.
Click here for the online application to the Licensure Only Program.
Please email Amanda Shirk for questions regarding any of the listed alternative options at email@example.com.