In room 310 of the TRC you will find a quality collection of award-winning children’s literature including picture books, young adult fiction, PK-12 nonfiction, biographies, audiobooks, DVDs, big books, and leveled readers. Materials on reserve can be accessed at the main desk. A variety of equipment is available for checkout at the desk as well. Equipment includes laptops, iPads, cameras, video cameras, tripods, digital voice recorders, and headsets with mics. The TRC classroom in room 302 houses K-12 state-adopted textbooks, SES resources, science curriculum materials and math manipulatives.
Test Preparation (PRAXIS)
The Teaching Resources Center provides access to test preparation materials for the Praxis I Core Academic Skills tests required for admission into Teacher Education, and the Praxis II and Pearson Tests required for licensure.
Praxis II Testing – for middle grades (6-9), secondary (9-12), K-12 (except Exceptional Children: General Curriculum) license areas.
Pearson Test for North Carolina: Foundations of Reading and General Curriculum – for Elementary Education and Exceptional Children: General Curriculum licenses only.
- General Curriculum Prep Materials (For students who are pursuing licensure in elementary education)
- Foundations of Reading Test Prep Materials (For elementary education students and students seeking special education licensure)
Print Study Guides for each of these tests are available for checkout in the TRC. In addition, the University Libraries offer free, online access toTesting & Education Reference Center, a resource that provides practice tests with immediate scoring and feedback and free ebooks for additional assistance.
Accessing Testing & Education Reference Center
- From the UNCG homepage, Click on Libraries under Campus Links.
- Click on Databases under Help with Research.
- Click the T in “Databases Name begins with”
- Select “Testing & Education Reference Center(TERC)” from the list of databases.
- Choose “Career” tab and select “Teacher” on the drop down list.
- Click on “Start Now”
- New Users must create an account. Click Register under New Users and use your UNCG user name and password.
A variety of equipment and instructional technology resources are available for School of Education students, faculty, and staff. These resources include laptops, iPads, video cameras, headsets with mics, phone chargers, and many other items. Equipment may be checked out for one week (with the exception of laptops which have a one day check out).
The TRC provides subscriptions to online resources to support the print collection.
The TBL is a collection of TumbleBooks (animated, talking picture books) with fiction, non-fiction and foreign language titles, Read-Alongs (chapter books with sentence highlighting and narration but no animation), TumbleTV which consists of pre-set playlists of a sequence of books, Tumble Puzzles & Games, and TumbleResources for teachers and students., including a Common Core Portal.
TeachingBooks.net is a database of multimedia materials about children’s and young adult books, authors, and illustrators. On TeachingBooks, you will find…
- A digital library with tens of thousands of resources supporting every book being read in the K–12 curriculum
- Exclusive movies and audio productions with authors introducing their books and revealing their craft, enabling anyone to learn directly from the author when reading a book
- Audio book readings, author websites and blogs, video book trailers, and other engaging resources to infuse multimedia into reading activities
- Ready-to-use, evaluated lesson plans and book discussion guides that prompt discussion and enhance the teaching of books
- Resources that can be aligned with a single click to your syllabi and other reading lists
- A professional development tool for teachers-in-training and new educators
- A collection of primary sources for research in children’s literature
- An equity tool that connects all readers with authors anywhere, anytime
Sign in with UNCG email address
Children’s Literature Comprehensive Database
CLCD provides a single source for information about PreK to Grade 12 books and media including teaching tools– lesson plans and teaching guides on children’s books, authors and illustrators from a variety of sources.
- A variety of search options to help you find books by subject, age level, genre, and much more.
- Reading Measurement Programs (Lexile, AR, Scholastic Reading Counts).
- Curriculum Tools–which includes lesson plans, teaching guides, discussion guides, book trailers, etc.
- Links to over 240,000 web pages featuring children’s authors and illustrators.
Access via the TRC website at www.clcd.com