We are excited to see your interest in applying to the Piedmont Teacher Residency Partnership (PTRP) program! Choosing to pursue a career in teaching is an important decision, so as you continue along in the first steps of this process, we encourage you to contact us with any questions that you may have.
Teacher Residents are college graduates who are paid a stipend of $35,000 to complete a one-year, full-time internship in a high-need school while completing coursework for a master’s degree in teaching. The master’s degree must be completed in 18 months.
The residency program begins in the first summer school session each May, and candidates graduate in August or December of the following year.
In exchange for the financial support during the residency year, residents agree to teach for at least three years in a high need school in Rockingham County or Surry County following graduation.
The residency program may be right for you if you:
- Are a talented, dedicated individual with a bachelors’ degree who wishes to become a teacher in one of the following areas:
- Middle Grades Science, Mathematics, Language Arts, or Social Studies (Grades 6-9)
- Secondary Science (Grades 9-12)
- Secondary Mathematics (Grades 9-12)
- Secondary English Language Arts (Grades 9-12)
- Special Education (General Curriculum, Grades K-12)
- Elementary Education (Grades K-6)
- Special Education and Elementary Education candidates can have any undergraduate major. Other candidates must have at least 24 semester hours of credit in the area you plan to teach.
- Have at least a 3.0 grade point average for your undergraduate degree.
- Do not hold and have not met the requirements to hold a teaching license in any field.
- Have not taught as a lateral entry teacher.
Apply for admission to the MAT program at UNCG in your chosen area of specialization. You can access the application process here.
- Complete the UNC Greensboro graduate school application
- Submit 3 recommendations using the electronic UNC Greensboro form (letters may also be attached)
- Submit official transcripts for all institutions of higher education attended
Applicants must also complete this application form indicating interest in PTRP.
Applicants who meet these criteria by the March 1 deadline may be invited to participate in a face-to-face interview and selection process.