Study Abroad with the SOE
Why Study Abroad as an Education Major?
- Gain knowledge of education in global settings
- Have an opportunity to view yourself in a new light
- Interact with teachers and students in other countries
- Increase intercultural competency to work with diverse students and families in local schools
- Enhance readiness to prepare future global citizens
- Learn to become a global educator (learn more about North Carolina DPI-Global Educator Digital Badge for Teachers)
Read more: 12 Reasons Why You Totally Have to Study Abroad by Summer Drum
Study Abroad Opportunities for Education Majors
- Semester-long exchange program – Through this type of program, you take courses from a partner institution overseas for one semester. Education majors typically participate in this type of programs during their sophomore year.
- Faculty-led short-term study abroad program – This type of program is usually during the summer sessions. You participate in a short-term study abroad program for 3-5 weeks overseas. In addition, you attend pre-departure and post-return courses. You can earn up to 6 credit hours through this type of program.
- UNCG application deadlines
- Students applying to go abroad for a Spring program-September 15
- Students applying to go abroad for Fall and Full Year programs- February 15
- ISEP application deadlines
- Students applying to go abroad for a Spring ISEP program- August 15
- Students applying to go abroad for Fall and Full Year ISEP programs- January 15
- Students applying to go abroad for Summer ISEP programs- February 15
- Faculty-led study abroad program deadlines
- Students applying to go abroad for summer programs – December-January (please note that application deadlines vary by program)
Steps to Study Abroad
- Talk with an advisor – set up an appointment, by calling the International Programs Office (334-5404), stopping by ( 207 Foust Building). The receptionist will be happy to set you up for a study abroad “options” appointment, where you will learn the basics about exchange programs or faculty-led program options.
- Find out more about partnering institutions and programs – search online to find programs and institutions overseas that may be of interest to you: http://studyabroad.uncg.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.AdvancedSearch.
- Get a passport – apply for a passport: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/apply.html
- Check out visa requirement – visa requirements differ by destination countries. Check out the requirement for your destination country.
- Learn about insurance – check out the HTH resource brochure to find out resources provided by your insurance company. HTH Worldwide Health Insurance Information.pdf
- Enroll in STEP – stay informed about safety issues as you prepare to travel and when you are abroad: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/step.html.
Featured Study Abroad Opportunities for Education Majors
- Counseling Department Study Abroad — Please check with the department for more details. View Facebook page here.
- Experiencing China – This is a faculty-led short-term study abroad program. During this program, you will have the opportunity to visit universities, K-12 schools, special education schools and interact with teachers and students in Shanghai, China. For more information, check out the program website or contact Ye (Jane) He at email@example.com.
- Finland – Education students have the opportunity to visit the International School in Oulu, Finland, after they complete their student teaching for a two or three week internship. The school is known for its K-12 International Baccalaureate curriculum and represents the best of world recognized Finnish education (See http://www.ouka.fi/oulu/oulu-international-school).
- LIS International Internships: Virtual or On-site — Library and information studies students may have the opportunity to conduct virtual or on-site internships with institutions abroad. Please contact Nora Bird firstname.lastname@example.org or your advisor for details.
View photos from students who have studied abroad here!