Ph.D. in Educational Studies, concentration in Teacher Education and Development
The TED PhD program is designed to develop scholar-researchers, scholar-teachers, and scholar-activists who generate, understand, and apply usable new knowledge related to the education of novice and experienced teachers. Such scholarship connects research with practice, is informed by our mutual belief in socio-cultural and constructivist theories of how people learn, promotes the advocacy of excellence and equity in education for all learners, and facilitates the development of teachers as leaders.
University professors, Curriculum and instructional leaders in school systems
The PhD program attracts students who wish to pursue careers as teacher educators in university-based teacher education programs or who wish to become curriculum and/or instructional leaders in school systems.
Students in the program have the opportunity to have graduate assistantships where they work with professors on research and instruction. Students spend time in schools conducting research and engaging in instructional supervisory activities.
Research interests include teacher education; mathematics education; science education; learning, development, and motivation; language and literacy; social studies education; ESL; equity education; and citizenship education.
Program of Study
Total hours: 60+
- TED 749: Disciplined Inquiry in Teacher Education
- TED 646: Introduction to Equity Education or TED 765: Research in Equity Education
- TED 746: Seminar: Research in Teaching
- TED 747: Doctoral Seminar in Learning and Cognition
- TED 730: Qualitative Methods in Curriculum and Instruction
- TED 738: Mixed Methods Research Design in Curriculum and Instruction
- TED 775: Directed Doctoral Research
- ERM 780: Intermediate Statistical Methods in Education
- ERM 781: Design and Analysis of Educational Experiments
- Additional courses to satisfy 21-hour research requirement and 15 hours in area of concentration
- 12 hours of dissertation
Minimum Program Requirements
- Completion of 60+ hours
- One-year residency
- Completion of program requirements
- Comprehensive exam