M.Ed. in Teacher Education, concentration in Middle/Secondary Mathematics
The Master of Education (Middle Grades and Secondary Mathematics Education Concentration) is a 33-hour program that can be taken on a full-time or part-time basis. All classes are offered in the evening or in the summer to accommodate graduate students who are classroom teachers.
Mathematics teacher, Mathematics teacher leader, District mathematics coordinator, Community college instructor
Practicing teachers who have an undergraduate degree in education or a related field, and already hold the Standard Professional I license or initial license to teach, and wish to pursue advanced skills in the area of middle grades or secondary mathematics. This degree will enable you to seek advanced licensure as a middle grades or secondary mathematics teacher.
This degree will enable you to seek advanced licensure as a middle grades or secondary mathematics teacher. Graduates from our program are teacher leaders in middle and high schools, district mathematics coordinators, community college instructors, and doctoral students.
Our program integrates research on students’ mathematical thinking with research progress in core mathematics instructional practices to support teachers in developing a vision of high quality mathematics instruction that leads to improved learning for all students.
Program of Study
Total hours: 33
Core courses (9 hours):
- TED 669 Educational Implications of Learning and Developmental Theory
- TED 646 Introduction to Equity Education
- ERM 605 Educational Measurement & Evaluation
Pedagogical Expertise (15 hours)
- TED 630: Mathematics Teaching in Middle and Secondary Schools
- TED 671: Thinking and Learning in Middle and Secondary Mathematics: Number & Algebra
- TED 673: Thinking and Learning in Middle and Secondary Mathematics: Geometry, Statistics, and Probability
- MAT 504: Foundations of Geometry for Teachers
- MAT 505: Foundations of Mathematics for Teachers
Professional Development/Leadership (9 hours)
- TED 676 Teacher As Researcher and Leader
- TED 677 Teacher as Researcher and Leader
- Mathematics Education Elective:
- TED 664: Problem Solving in Mathematics
- TED 667: Technology in Middle & Secondary Mathematics
- TED 670: Research in Mathematics Education
Minimum Program Requirements
Preferred applicants hold a middle grades or secondary mathematics teaching license and are in at least their second year of teaching.