Teacher Education and Higher Education

Higher Education

Our Higher Education program offers a comprehensive curriculum that will serve you in every facet of higher education administration, policy making, and research. You will become part of an intellectually vibrant community of students, faculty, and alumni who share a common interest in ensuring the successful future of higher education and enhancing the opportunities they provide to their students.

Master of Education

The M.Ed. program in Student Affairs Administration in Higher Education (SAAHE) is designed to prepare entry-level professionals to work in student affairs and student services at higher education institutions. The curriculum closely follows the ACPA/NASPA Professional Competencies as well as the CAS Standards for graduate professional preparation.

For more information, please contact Dr. Brad Johnson, HED Director of Graduate Studies, rbjohnso@uncg.edu.

Doctor of Philosophy

The Ph.D. in Educational Studies with a concentration in higher education is intended for experienced administrators and qualified scholars. Graduates pursue careers as scholar-practitioners in areas such as student affairs, community college leadership, and general higher education administration.

For more information, please contact Dr. Dale Schunk, HED Director of Doctoral Studies, dhschunk@uncg.edu.

Post-Baccalaureate Certificate

The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate (PBC) in Student Affairs in Higher Education is designed to provide a very basic overview/introduction to Student Affairs work within Higher Education institutions for individuals who do not have formal education or training in this area.  A variety of audiences are intended for this certificate: a) those who currently work or wish to work in student services areas within institution of higher education; and b) graduate students within other programs who are preparing for careers at an institution of higher education who wish to learn more about the students with whom they will be working and the institutions at which they will be working. 

For more information, please contact Dr. Brad Johnson, Clinical Associate Professor of Higher Education and M.Ed. Program Coordinator/Graduate Program Director (Brad.Johnson@uncg.edu).


Applications to all graduate programs are made through the UNC Greensboro Graduate School. The Graduate School website will provide prospective students with a wealth of information about the application process.

Financial Support

Our goal is for every student in the School of Education (SOE) to be able to focus on their studies and not on student debt. A variety of financial aid is available to our students, including scholarships based on academic merit and financial need. We invite you to explore the many scholarship opportunities offered in the School of Education. 

All students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for any scholarship in which financial need is a requirement of the scholarship.

Students needing other financial aid should complete the forms obtained through the Financial Aid Office. You may contact the Financial Aid Office at 336.334.5702 or email: finaid@uncg.edu.


How much do the programs cost?

The cost varies every year and it depends on how many courses you take every semester, too. You can find out about the estimated cost of attendance at the Graduate School’s website.

When is my application due?

It depends. Some programs have earlier admissions deadlines; some Master’s Degree programs have rolling admissions, and others have strict deadlines. Please consult individual program pages and coordinators or the Graduate School for more information.

What is I just want to take a course or two? Do I have to enroll in a program?

If you need to renew a license, or if you wish to take a class in order to determine if you wish to apply to a program, or if you just have a love of learning, refer to the Non-Degree Seeking Application information for all your answers.

How long does it take to complete my program?

For most students, it depends on how many courses you choose to take each semester and your program. You may choose to take only 1-2 courses per semester, or you may take 3-4 courses per semester.

Where can I find a class schedule?

The University Registrar’s Office publishes the Fall and Spring Semester Schedule of Courses in Web format only. The Fall schedule is available in March and the Spring schedule is available in October. The semester Schedule of Courses lists all courses and course sections to be offered in a given semester. Current schedule information can be found on the Web through the Course Search.

  1. Select the current or previous terms you wish to search through.
  2. Select a Subject.
    • For Teacher Education courses, you will need to select “Teacher Education” as the “Subject.”
    • For Higher Education courses, you will need to select “Higher Education” as the “Subject.”
  3. Click the Search button.