New Program Learning Outcomes
(Approved for 1/13/2017 for Fall 2018 Implementation)
The following outcomes are undergirded by the application of ethics, the use of technology, and the value of diversity.
- Connect people to information and information technology, particularly to promote a just and equitable society [Information Organization, Access and Retrieval] **
- Assess and respond to the needs of diverse communities [Planning, Outreach & Assessment]
- Analyze problems and propose solutions through the application of evidence. [Evidence-based Practice]
- Utilize instructional strategies and communication in both formal and informal interactions to increase information competence [Instructional Communication and Methods]
- Advocate for public policies, laws, organizations, and resources that promote a just information society [Advocacy & Public Policy]
- Embrace change to lead organizational innovation. [Leadership, Management, Innovation, Professional Development/Lifelong Learning
- Communicate and collaborate with colleagues and communities [Written & Oral Communication, Team Work, Community Engagement]
**Broad categories in bold are presented here only to provide a helpful context for the outcomes as they relate to the planning documents and to the previous PLOs.
Mean MLIS Capstone Score
Capstone portfolios are scored on a 1 – 6 scale. Scores of 1 – 2 constitute an unacceptable performance, 3 – 4 an acceptable performance and 5 – 6 a target performance.
|Student Learning Objective (SLO)||AY 2019-2020||Fall 2019||Spring 2020||Fall 2020|
|SLO1. The student assesses the philosophy, principles, and ethics of|
the library and information field.
|SLO 2. The student identifies, evaluates, conducts, and applies current research and thought in library and information studies and in other fields.||4.8||4.9||4.9||4.5|
|SLO 3. The student applies and values user education principles in the|
teaching of information literacy
|SLO 4. The student designs services to meet the information needs of|
all users and communities.
|SLO 5. The student engages in professional development and service|
and identifies specializations and related professional organizations
as relevant to individual interests.
|SLO 6. The student applies appropriate technology for effective|
|SLO 7. The student applies advocacy, marketing, and communication principles for entrepreneurial leadership.||4.9||4.7||5.2||4.7|
|SLO 8. The student effectively collaborates for the achievement of|
individual, organizational, professional, and societal goals.
Note: AY is average of Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
Average Retention Rate 87.75%
Fall 2011 Cohort 86% Retention
Spring 2012 Cohort 85% Retention
Fall 2012 Cohort 87% Retention
Spring 2013 Cohort 92% Retention
Time To Graduation Data*
Mean Time to Graduation, MLIS General Program: 2.6 years
Mean Time to Graduation, MLIS with School Media Licensure : 3.1 years
12% of students complete the program in less than two years
60% of students complete the program in in two years
46% of students complete the program in 2 – 3 years
12% of students complete the program in more than 3 years
*Note: These data are from February 1, 2021.
66% of students indicate they hold or will hold positions by the time they graduate.
One year data is forthcoming.
*Note: These data are from the 2018 Student Exit Surveys.