Counseling, M.S., concentration in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The Master of Science program prepares students with a high level of evidence-based, ethical, and culturally responsive skill sets to serve clients. The Clinical Mental Health Counseling concentration prepares students to conceptualize, assess, diagnose, and treat individuals, groups, and families in a variety of settings, including inpatient, outpatient, in-home care, and private practice settings.
- Working in counseling agencies with diverse client populations
- Providing in-home counseling to children, adolescents, and families
- Providing inpatient and outpatient counseling services
- Working in hospital settings working with clients who have chronic illness
- Working with clients in various settings related to grief or death and dying
- Consulting with schools regarding youth behavioral problems
- Working in crisis centers, alternative schools, or group homes
Students in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling track have many opportunities to develop clinical counseling skills. Beginning in their first semester, students complete a mental health counseling practicum in which they observe the duties and responsibilities of a mental health practitioner. Specific skills training occurs in core classes, in an advanced practicum in the Nicholas A. Vacc Counseling and Consulting Clinic, and in a 600-hour internship in a local community agency, hospital, residential care facility, or private practice that matches the student’s desired setting and specialty area.
The U.S. Department of Education requires that all higher education institutions advise students as to whether their curriculum provides them with the eligibility to apply for a professional license and/or certification in the state for which they plan to practice.
Students in this track should refer to the following websites for this information:
American Counseling Association State Professional Counselor Licensure Boards page
American Association of State Counseling Boards Members page[/program-details]