CED Admissions Process
All Applicants: Doctoral and Master’s-level
Application Deadlines and Start Date
Applications that are not complete by the respective deadlines are not reviewed. Please contact the Graduate School to confirm all required information has been received there. Admission is for the fall semester only.
The deadline to apply for the Doctoral program is October 1st
The deadline to apply for the Master’s program is November 15th
Each year, 6-8 doctoral students and 32-36 master’s students are recommended for admission into the full-time/day-time counseling program by an Admissions Committee made up of program faculty.
Criteria for Selection
Criteria for selection includes:
- Complete online graduate school application
- GRE scores from a test taken within the past 5 years
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one of which should be an academic reference)
- Resume or curriculum vitae detailing work experience, volunteer experience, and research background
- Personal statement that outlines professional goals (see below for a description)
- Undergraduate and, if applicable, graduate transcripts (required for all doctoral applicants)
The personal statement is an essay that is generally 2-4 pages long (in 12pt font and double spaced), in which students provide information regarding their reasons for pursuing the counseling profession, any relevant experience, personal career goals, and why UNC Greensboro would be a good fit for their educational aspirations. The essay should not simply restate your resume, but instead provide the admissions committee the opportunity to get to know more about you.
Applicants may either (1) upload official transcripts that have been issued by their institution’s Registrar’s Office onto their online application or (2) order official transcripts that should be mailed to the Graduate School at the following address:
The Graduate School
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
241 Mossman Building
1202 Spring Garden Street
Greensboro, NC 27412
We use a completely electronic application process.
All applicants should include the following as attachments to their online application:
- Supplemental Documents A: Personal Statement
- Supplemental Documents B: Resume or Curriculum Vitae
The admissions committee will begin reviewing applications after the application deadline. Selected applicants will be invited to campus for an interview early in the spring semester. Participation in the interview process is mandatory for selected students; however, international students may interview via Skype if travel is cost-prohibitive.
Applicants are notified of their admission status usually within two-four weeks after all interviews are completed; typically, students receive notification no later than April 15th.