SELF Design Studio – Maker in Residence Program – Fall 2016
Are you looking to gain teaching experience and learn amazing new skills? This is your opportunity to work, learn and serve UNCG students in one of the most innovative learning spaces on campus!
In the SELF Design Studio — our STEAM education lab — School of Education students have access to state-of-the-art tools such as 3D printers, a laser engraver, circuitry invention kits, computer graphic applications, virtual and augmented reality tools, robotics, and art and craft supplies.
What will I do as a Maker in Residence?
- Serve as an ambassador and recruiter for the studio at open house events, including workshops for UNCG students and community members, and regional makerfaires
- Introduce and assist SOE students on integrating new technologies such as 3D printers, robots, and art/engineering building projects in curriculum
- Promote and assist in leading Fall workshops for:
- Building your own green screen studio
- 3D printing your own phone case
- Building your own art robot
- Soldering a blinking LED pin
- … as well as opportunities to create your own workshops based on YOUR interests!
- Engage students in pop-up making activities:
- Cardboard and plastic straw construction
- Paper rocket building and launching
- Rain art creation
- Green screen photography and movie-making
How can I become a Maker in Residence?
- We are searching for students who enjoy learning new skills, are open to taking risks, and are excited for the opportunity to share knowledge with others.
- Prior experience with creative teaching is not necessary, but can be a plus! If you have a passion for the arts (fine arts and crafting, music, puppetry, sewing), technology (computer coding, use of tablet apps, video/photography), and/or engineering (building structures with random materials) share it with the SOE community.
- This opportunity is open to any freshman, sophomore, or junior considering a career in education or already admitted to the SOE program.
- Maker in Residents will volunteer for at least 30 hours over the Fall semester.
Apply here or visit Room 307: SELF Design Studio for more information.