The Alternative Licensure programs provide initial teacher certification options to those with an earned 4-year degree, and seek to earn a Standard SP1 teaching license. UNCG offers a wide selection to meet the initial licensure needs of the community.
Application Deadlines for Alternative Programs
Fall: July 1
Spring: October 1
Summer: April 1
Fall: May 15
Spring: September 15
Summer: February 15
Program options for those seeking an initial license to teach
There are three program options for those seeking an initial teaching license: NC Teach, PAIL, and Licensure Only, shown below.
The Licensure Only certification areas prepare applicants for teaching in advance of entering the classroom.
- Music Education (K-12)
- Birth through Kindergarten (B-K)
- Health & Physical Education (K-12)
Required Licensure Only Courses:
Program coursework and duration are dependent upon the degree and previous coursework of the applicant. Once admitted, a detailed plan of study will be provided.
- Earned 4-year degree in a field related to the teaching area (bachelor degree and 24 credit hours in the area of content may suffice).
- Minimum of 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
- Copy of an official transcript.
Click here for the online application to the Licensure Only Program.
Please email Amanda Shirk for questions regarding any of the listed alternative options at firstname.lastname@example.org.