Congratulations to Chris Shafer (2013 Master of Education in Teacher Education candidate) and Rachel Smith (2013 Master of Library and Information Studies candidate), who have been selected as graduating student speakers for the 2013 SOE Commencement Ceremony.
Faculty members taking part in the SOE Commencement Ceremony, please make sure to RSVP your attendance by completing the Faculty RSVP Commencement Form by Thursday, April 25.
SOE Reading Day Luncheon – Wednesday, May 1, 12:00pm-1:30pm in SOEB #118
We trust you are having an outstanding semester. This semester’s Reading Day Luncheon will be on Wed. 5/1 in SOEB room #118 from noon-1:30pm. If you bring something for the Luncheon, please drop it off by 11:30am.
As always, we will have lots of food and drink and great company to celebrate another outstanding semester at the SOE.
1) What to bring:
CED – fruits/salads/vegetables (Social Committee Representative: Laura Gonzalez)
TEHE – fruits/salads/vegetables (Social Committee Representative: Edna Tan)
ELC – *meats/vegetables (Social Committee Representative: Dodie Booton)
ERM, CERE – *meats/salads (Social Committee Representative: Rachel Hill)
LIS – drinks/ice/dessert (Social Committee Representative: Anthony Chow)
SES – pasta/vegetables (Social Committee Representative: Teresa Little)
CESC, PTEC, SAC, TED, TRC – desserts/*meats (Social Committee Representatives: Lori Warner/Carol-Ann Resch)
2) Slide One:
This semester’s theme: Something fun we do not know about you.
Please submit one PowerPoint slide to Anthony Chow at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Sunday 4/28 and your slide will be part of a compilation of slides from across the SOE.
UNCG Staff-Faculty Kickball Classic – Wed. 4/24 @ 6 p.m., UNCG baseball field
Join us for a fun evening in support of the Guilford County Animal Shelter. Several SOE faculty – Jim Carmichael, Wayne Journall, Melody Zoch, and Anthony Chow – will be leading the Faculty “Cat Herd” (nicknamed because it has been so easy getting us organized along with approximately 20 other faculty across UNCG against the staff.
For more information: http://www.uncg.edu/staff.groups/senate/Senate_News/2012/kickball.html
The Animal Shelter drive is “Fill the truck” and their truck will be there.
Items needed for the shelter:
Towels – paper towels – wet-dry vac – puppy & dog food (dry) – heating pads – office products – grooming items – liquid dish soap – shop vac – copy paper – brooms – bleach – can openers – metal bowls – kitten & cat food (canned) – blanket – sheets – laundry soap – digital camera – hand sanitizer – pre-paid gas cards – 6-foot x 8-foot tarps – toilet paper – metal bowls – shampoo – cat litter
Coalition for Diverse Language Communities (CDLC) Meeting and Retreat – Thursday, April 25
All SOE faculty, staff, and students are invited to join the Coalition for Diverse Language Communities (CDLC) at their retreat planning meeting this coming Thursday, April 25, from 9:00am-11:00am in room 301 in SOEB. This is an important planning meeting where we will identify the primary issues that will be discussed, fleshed out, and operationalized at the retreat into a strategic plan for the academic year 2013-2014. The actual retreat will take place on May 29-31. The venue for the retreat will be confirmed later.
CDLC meetings and the retreat are open to all, and the Coalition hopes you can join them to help build the advocacy, outreach, professional development, research, services, and teaching opportunities to serve diverse language individuals/communities.
Coffee Talk With the Dean – Friday, April 26
Dean Wixson will host her next Coffee Talk on Friday, April 26 at 10:00 a.m. in room 301 SOEB. Everyone is invited to attend. Your questions, comments and ideas are welcome.
SOE Kayak/Canoe Excursion Trip – Saturday, April 27
The first SOE Kayak/Canoe excursion trip will take place on Saturday, April 27 at 8:30am at Lake Brandt ( visit the Lake Brandt website for directions and more info). Kayak rentals cost $12; Tandem Kayak or Canoe (2 people if you want to buddy-up) rentals are $20. If anyone is interested attending, please contact Sheila Gambardella at email@example.com.
American Sign Language Idol 2013 – Saturday, May 4
The SES department presents the 2013 American Sign Language Idol, taking place Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 3:00pm in the Elliott University Center Auditorium. Come enjoy students enjoying popular songs in ASL with music from the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, all the way to today’s songs! Money from ticket sales and donations will go to help our Deaf-Blind friends attend Camp Dogwood. For more information, click here to download the flyer.
Want to see a sneak peek at this year’s ASL Idol?
2013 School of Education Commencement Information
The 2013 School of Education Commencement Ceremony will take place on Friday, May 10, 2013 at 6:00pm in the Greensboro Coliseum Special Events Center (East Wing).
Information regarding the 2013 SOE Commencement Ceremony for graduating students can be found on the SOE home page (soe.uncg.edu) by clicking on the ‘Commencement Information’ graphic; or you can click here.
Please direct students to this web link if they have any questions regarding SOE Commencement.
- All Faculty who plan to participate in the School of Education Commencement should fill out the Faculty RSVP Commencement Form.Please RSVP your participation interest no later than Thursday, April 25.
- If you require regalia rental from the UNCG Bookstore, please indicate by completing the required fields in the link to the Faculty RSVP Commencement Form above by Thursday, April 25 so that we may place your regalia order. The Dean’s Office will place the order and will pay for your regalia; however, ALL FACULTY are responsible for picking up and returning their rental regalia to the UNCG Bookstore for the SOE Commencement Ceremony in a timely manner. (This is a new procedure this year; information on pickup and drop off deadline dates from the Bookstore will be included in the SOE News announcements closer to the event.)
- All faculty are asked to arrive no later than 5:00pm at the Greensboro Coliseum Special Events Center (East Wing) on the 10th for line up for the Commencement Ceremony. The Faculty Holding Area will be in Meeting Room #2 of the Special Events Center. Please note that the UNCG Bryan School of Business & Economics will be hosting their Commencement Ceremony at the Greensboro Coliseum Special Events Center (East Wing) directly prior to School of Education’s ceremony, so please allow additional time for arrival and parking.
Students Graduating in May
- Students graduating in May interested in participating in the Ceremony will need to complete the SOE Commencement Student Registration Form by Friday, April 5 for inclusion in the printed program. PLEASE NOTE: Doctoral students need to have defended by Friday, April 19 in order to have their names listed in the May Commencement program. If Doctoral students defend before SOE Commencement they are still allowed to walk in the SOE Commencement ceremony, however their names will not be listed in the Commencement program.
Students Graduating in August 2013
- If you know of students who will be graduating in August but would like to participate in the May ceremony, please have them fill out the SOE Commencement Student Registration Form by Friday, April 5 for inclusion in the printed program. PLEASE NOTE: Doctoral students need to have defended by Friday, April 19 in order to have their names listed in the May Commencement program. If Doctoral students defend before SOE Commencement they are still allowed to walk in the SOE Commencement ceremony, however their names will not be listed in the Commencement program.
Student Speakers for SOE Commencement
- We are seeking nominations for student speakers for the ceremony. Please submit names of nominated student speakers to Rachel Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students should submit proposed remarks no later than Wednesday, April 17 to Rachel Williams at email@example.com.
- Remarks for student speakers should be no longer than 600 words in length (max).
Updated information and deadline reminders regarding the 2013 SOE Commencement Ceremony will be posted in SOE News each week under the ‘Commencement Information’ graphic, so please keep checking SOE News for Ceremony updates.
If you have any questions regarding the SOE Commencement Ceremony, please feel free to contact Rachel Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or (336) 256-1317.
SOE Faculty/Staff Picnic – Saturday, May 18
SOE Faculty, Staff, and their families are invited to the 2013 SOE Faculty/Staff Picnic, taking place on Saturday, May 18 from 2:00pm – 6:00pm at Bur-Mil Park, Shelter #2 (5834 Bur-Mil Club Rd., Greensboro, NC 27410). Join us as we celebrate the conclusion of another school year with food, games, and family fun. Event will take place at Bur-Mil Park, rain or shine. Please RSVP the names of everyone you will be bringing to the picnic by Wednesday, May 8 to Rachel Williams at email@example.com.
Save the Date – Yopp Distinguished Speaker Series 2013-2014
The Yopp Distinguished Speaker Series in Mathematics Education has been announced for the 2013-2014 academic year. Click here to read the Series flyer. These talks are hosted by the UNCG Mathematics Education Group in the School of Education with generous support from the James D. and Johanna F. Yopp Endowment.
Dr. Margaret Gillis (SES) has been elected as the North Carolina Birth-Kindergarten Higher Education Consortium (BKHEC) representative on the North Carolina State Interagency Coordinating Council (ICC) with an appointment beginning in Fall 2013. The ICC brings policy makers, service providers, and parents together, serving young children with disabilities and developmental delays and their families. Its members work to ensure that the supports and services offered to families are in line with their needs.
Three UNCG School of Education Alumni in their first year of teaching have just won Rookie Teacher of the Year awards from their schools! Congratulations to Anthony Finlen, 5th grade teacher at Randleman Elementary, John Strickland, 3rd grade teacher at Ramseur Elementary, and Brittany Roth, 5th grade teacher at Guy B. Teachey Elementary School.
Recent Faculty/Student Publications and Presentations
TEHE graduate student Tracey Howell presented her dissertation research at the Research Pre-session at the annual meeting of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.