M.Ed. in Middle and Secondary Science Concentration
The Master of Education (MEd) program can be taken on a full-time or part-time basis. The program is aligned with the North Carolina Advanced Competency Standards and the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. The program is oriented toward improving results in teaching practice, as well as cultivating critical knowledge, skills, and dispositions in action research, professional development, leadership and working successfully with diverse learners in middle and secondary schools.
- Lead teachers
- Science coaches
Practicing teachers who have an undergraduate degree in education or a related field, and already hold the Standard Professional I license or initial license to teach, and wish to pursue advanced licensure (M license) in the area of middle and secondary school science education.
Graduates go on to leadership positions in their science teaching career as lead teachers and science coaches.
In the Teacher as Researcher course, students will be able to investigate, through action research, an area of interest with support from faculty. Example of possible research topics include studying students’ funds of knowledge, students’ science practices, expanding learning outcomes, testing novel assessment strategies for a more holistic understanding of students’ science learning.
Program of Study
Total hours: 33 hours
- TED 669 Educational Implications of Learning and Developmental Theory (3), or TED 622 – Differentiated Instruction, or approved substitute
- TED 545 Diverse Learners, (3), or TED 646- Intro to Equity Education (3), or approved substitute
- ERM 605 – Educational Measurement and Evaluation, (3) or ERM 604- Methods of Educational Research (3), or an approved substitute.
- Pedagogical Expertise (15 hours)
- TED 657 Nature of Science, Technology, & Society (3)
- TED 623 Environmental Education (3)
- TED 632 Science Education: Teaching Practices & Curriculum (3)
- Two approved content courses in College of Arts & Sciences (6) or a second semester of TED 623, TED 561, and/or TED 632 with instructor permission, or approved substitutes.
Professional Development/Leadership (9 hours)
- TED 638 (Seminar in Secondary Education), or TED 626 (Middle Grades Curriculum & Instruction)
- TED 676 (3) Teacher As Researcher and Leader (Prerequisite is 15 hours of course work and completion of ERM 604 or 605)
- TED 677 (3) Teacher as Researcher and Leader (Prerequisite is TED 676)
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Earth Science
- Initial licensure for teaching in one of the sciences above
- GPA scores that meet Graduate School standards
- Two years teaching experience